Welcome to the Modern Flight Quilt Along! The Modern Flight quilt pattern is a beginner-friendly paper pieced pattern. It’s quick and geometric and–thanks to the magic of paper piecing–comes out looking crisp and precise every time.
If you haven’t paper pieced before, this is the time! The paper piecing in this pattern is very easy AND I’ll be doing demo videos for each step of the quilt so you’ll get to walk through it with me. And I love paper piecing so buckle up for some VERY enthusiastic paper piecing how-to videos.
For the experienced quilters among you, this should be a relaxing quilt along full of great tips, videos, community inspiration, and PRIZES!
The quilt along starts April 28, 2021 and runs for 5 weeks. Join the email list so you don’t miss any of the weekly info on prizes and steps and…well, everything! Finding this post after the quilt along has wrapped up? Don’t worry! All the posts and videos will be available indefinitely so you can follow along at your own pace.
Modern Flight Quilt Along Schedule
- Who: You! And me! You can sign up HERE. That just adds you to the email list so you’ll get weekly emails during the quilt along so you don’t miss anything fun!
- What: You can make either a baby or large throw Modern Flight quilt. Either will qualify for all the weekly prizes! You can purchase the PDF pattern here.
- Where: Everything is online. Weekly updates will be posted to the blog and you’ll receive a link to the post if you’re on the quilt along email list. I’ll be going live on Thursday evenings on Instagram to say hi and recap any highlights for the week or answer questions.
- When: April 28 – June 2, 2021
- Why: Prizes? Tips? Community? Take your pick. I’ll be here for all three. Well… really the community. I don’t qualify for prizes and I’m writing the tips, haha.
How Will The Quilt Along Work?
We’ll spend five weeks together working through the Modern Flight quilt pattern. In the end, you’ll walk away with a finished quilt, hopefully some new tricks in your quilting arsenal, and maybe a few new virtual quilting friends.
For some quilt alongs, you have to make a specific size of the quilt. In this quilt, the baby quilt is a scaled-down version of the large throw so even a baby quilt requires about the same commitment as a throw. Because of that (and because we’re heading into spring after a rough year for everyone), I’ve decided that for this quilt along, you can make ANY of the four sizes of the quilt and you’ll qualify for the final prizes.
Every week I’ll send out an email (join the list HERE) and post a blog that goes over the steps for that week and includes videos and/or other resources to support you in making a great quilt. And PRIZES! There will be weekly drawings for prizes, which will be announced in those weekly communications. You must have a public Instagram profile to qualify for prizes.
Week 1: Pick your fabrics and plan your layout.
Week 2: Cut your fabrics.
Week 3: Piece half of all diamond blocks.
Week 4: Piece remainder of diamond blocks.
Week 5: Assemble quilt top.
I know you guys like to plan so here are the fabric requirements. These are also included in the pattern, of course.